Category Archives: Technology
Well so it happened. Apple’s new CEO Tim Cook took center stage and announced the launch of the iPhone 4s a few hours back. The internet is rife with debates over how some feel cheated as an iPhone 5 would have been so much better. Some others (mostly fanboys) are as excited as Apple wants them to be over the new features. And then there is a 3rd lot, which I feel I belong to. The lot that already have the iPhone4 and will wait to see how the new version fares before deciding. Speaking of which one particular feature / app “Siri” has definitely caught my attention. More than a voice command app, it comes across as a personal assistant. Let’s wait for the tech reviews to rip it apart and will reserve my take for better or worse, until then.
For now my opinion is this : Apple is smart to understand that the iPhone 4 is an amazing product and after a year (considered a long time these days) is still making a lot of money. So rather than spend truck loads on an investment completely new, risking the ROI in such a tricky economy, they want to rule the roost from the existing model making some major upgrades. Smart one, I’d give them that. Whether it works or not, remains to be seen.
So here are the major upgrades :
- The iPhone 4S will have both GSM and CDMA variants
- It has an A5 chip, same as the iPad 2 – Two times faster than the previous phone
- Dual core graphics; seven times faster
- Eight megapixels camera, with 33 per cent faster capture seconds to take first photo
- Infrared filter for more accurate colors – 30 per cent sharper
- Face detection in camera, 26 per cent better white balance
- 1080p video recording
- Intelligently switches between antennas to transmit and receive
- World phone: Has both GSM and CDMA
- Better battery. Talk, 3G, WiFi
- New voice assistant called Siri – Recognises natural language
Here’s an official video stressing on the new features and apps